1. Tuesday, August 24:
Discussion Topic: Why is Hell so much of a daily part of our lives?
- I will pass out a set of survey questions which you are required to administer and complete by class time on a date to be announced.
- I will also administer a class survey.
Image I. World War I: “War is hell . . .”
2. Thursday, August 26
DiscussionTopic: What is Hell?
- “Hell” according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church: READ
- Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front (first half)
3. Tuesday, August 31
- Finish reading Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front
- Lewis Milestone, “All Quiet on the Western Front” (segment of film): Prepare for film by reading here.
4. Thursday, September 2
An Excursus from the Twentieth Century. Depictions of Hell in Dante’s Inferno
Today’s class meets in Hesburgh Library, Special Collections Room
- The Inferno of Dante, Canto 3 (READ) and Canto 33 (READ).
- Background Reading: [ ]
5. Tuesday, September 7
Discussion: Great Writing, Persuasive Criticism
- Readings from George Orwell: “Why I write,” “Politics and the English Language,” and “Review” (hand-outs)
Image II. The Holocaust: “A living hell . . .”
6. Thursday, September 9
- Read the first half of Elie Wiesel, Night
7. Tuesday, September 14
- Complete your reading of Elie Wiesel, Night
- Your first writing assignment will be posted right around HERE. I will announce the due date later.
8. Thursday, September 16
First Great Debate: TBA
9. Tuesday, September 21
Discussion: More Great Writing
- In-class Film: Selections from Leni Riefenstahl’s phantasmagoria, “Triumph of the Will”
Image III. Life Itself: “Life is hell . . .”
10. Thursday, September 23
Existentialism: A World Without God
- Jean-Paul Sartre, “The Wall” (hand-out)
11. Tuesday, September 28
Existentialism: A World With God
- Flannery O’Connor, “The Lame shall enter first” (hand-out)
NOTE: Please leave your technology at home. This includes electronic devices of any kind, such as laptops, i-Pads, cell phones, Kindels, video cameras, or other personal digital devices.